Michael Butterfield, an experienced trial attorney licensed to practice law in both Missouri and Michigan, has successfully litigated a wide range of civil matters in state and federal courts throughout the two states, representing both individuals and corporations.
Mr. Butterfield graduated Wayne State University Law School in 2014. While in law school, he interned with the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Eastern District of Michigan, the U.S. Department of Commerce, and Michigan’s Minority Business Development Agency. He was also elected by his peers to serve as a board member for the National Asian Pacific American Law Student Association, and as president of Wayne State University Law School’s APALSA chapter. Following law school, Mr. Butterfield served a one-year term on the board of directors of the Michigan Asian Pacific American Bar Association.
Mr. Butterfield began his legal career in Michigan and, in 2016, relocated to the St. Louis, Missouri area. In 2022, he joined this firm, where he concentrates his practice on business litigation, including shareholder, member, and partnership disputes, fiduciary duties, and business contracts. Mr. Butterfield and CEO Gerard Mantese lead the firm’s St. Louis, Missouri office.
Mr. Butterfield was recently recognized by his peers as a 2023 Best Lawyer: Ones to Watch in America in the areas of Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, and Product Liability Litigation – Defendants. He currently lives in the St. Louis, Missouri area with his wife and son.
Publications and Presentations
- J.D., Wayne State University Law School, 2014
- Honors, 1L Legal Research & Writing
- Silver Key Certificate for Academic Excellence (2012 – 2013)
- Bronze Key Certificate for Academic Excellence (2013 – 2014)
- Research Assistant, Professor John A. Rothchild
- Public Relations Director, National Asian Pacific American Law Student Association (2013 – 2014)
- B.A., Michigan State University, 2009
- James Madison College Student Senate
- State Bar of Michigan
- State Bar of Missouri
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
Awards and Recognitions
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, in the areas of Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, and Products Liability Litigation – Defendants (2023)