Michael Butterfield joined the firm in 2022 and concentrates his practice on business litigation, including shareholder, member, and partnership disputes, fiduciary duties, and business contracts. He and Mr. Mantese lead the firm’s St. Louis, Missouri office and he is licensed to practice law in Missouri and Michigan.
Mr. Butterfield is an experienced trial attorney who has litigated a wide range of civil matters in state and federal court on behalf of individuals and corporations. He began his legal career practicing in Michigan before relocating to the St. Louis, Missouri area in 2016. Since graduating from Wayne State University Law School in 2014, he has successfully litigated cases throughout various venues in both Michigan and Missouri.
While in law school, Mr. Butterfield interned with the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of Michigan and the U.S. Department of Commerce, Michigan Minority Business Development Agency. He was also elected by his peers to serve as a board member for the National Asian Pacific American Law Student Association and as president of Wayne State University Law School’s APALSA chapter. Following law school, he served a one-year term on the board of directors for the Michigan Asian Pacific American Bar Association.
Mr. Butterfield was recently recognized by his peers as a 2023 Best Lawyer: Ones to Watch in America in the areas of Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, and Product Liability Litigation – Defendants. He currently lives in the St. Louis, Missouri area with his wife and son.
- J.D., Wayne State University Law School, 2014
- Honors, 1L Legal Research & Writing
- Silver Key Certificate for academic excellence, 2012-2013
- Bronze Key Certificate for academic excellence, 2013-2014
- Wayne Law Outside Competitions Moot Court Team, Team Member (2012-2013) and Coach (2013-2014)
- Best Team Brief, Arthur Neef Moot Court Competition
- Third Best Respondent Brief, John J. Gibbons Moot Court Competition
- Research Assistant, Professor John A. Rothchild
- Public Relations Director, National Asian Pacific American Law Student Association, 2013-2014
- President, Wayne State University Law School APALSA , 2012-2013
- B.A., Michigan State University, 2009
- James Madison College Student Senate
- State Bar of Michigan
- Missouri Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
Awards and Recognitions
- 2023 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America in the areas of Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, and Products Liability Litigation – Defendants.